STOWE HIGH SCHOOL
Thursday, October 13, 2016
teacher on duty – Don McDowell
· SPIRIT WEEK
o Thursday, October 13th – Twin Day
o Friday, October 14th (Homecoming) – Raider Day
In order to show support for the students and families of Harwood Union High School and Kimball Union, we ask that freshman and sophomores wear ORANGE and WHITE (Kimball Union Colors) and juniors and seniors wear YELLOW/GOLD and BLACK (Harwood Union Colors) on Friday, October 14th. Instead of the colors that where originally planned.
· Music Lessons – TODAY, Thursday, October 13th – C. Ellis period 1, S. Stafford period 6B, A. Infante, T. Hoekstra, W. Cannon, V. Eliasson period 8.
· There will be a mandatory National Honor Society meeting TOMORROW, Friday, October 14th at 7:45am in Ms. Hoffmann's room. If you cannot make it please see her.
· Homecoming Dance sponsored by Student Leadership will take place TOMORROW, Friday, October 14th 8:00 – 10:30pm. Doors will be closed at 8:30pm. Tickets $10 student, $15 couple, will be sold at the door.
· Airtober Fest Fly-In at Morrisville Stowe State Airport on Saturday, October 15th from 10:00am to 3:00pm. There will be food, fun and flying. Look at various planes old and new. Helicopter and Glider rides. Free Young Eagles flights for children ages 8 – 17. Numerous vendors will also be present.
· Lisa Walker, the assistant Town Clerk of Stowe will be at the HS at noon on Monday, October 17th to register anyone who will be 18 years old before November 8th and has not yet registered to vote and wishes to do so. Lisa can also register students from towns other than Stowe. So register if you wish to vote for President this year!
· Early release for all students will take place on Wednesday, October 19th. Students will be dismissed at 11:45. Lunch will be available. Students who take the Wolcott bus home can be dropped off between Stowe and Wolcott on RT 100 and 15. Students who go to Wolcott Elementary need to be picked up by 12:15. Progress Committee will have a detailed schedule forthcoming.
· Attention students: Friday Program registration forms and applicable waivers must be signed by a parent and returned with any fees no later than Tuesday, October 25th.
· Attention Alpine Ski Team – Stowe Mountain Season Passes are on sale now! Special Deals before Sunday, November 6th.
· Mr. McDowell and Carolina C. are looking for students that would be potentially be interested in a neuroscience club, with UVM undergraduates coming to school weekly to share their knowledge on neuroscience. See Mr. McDowell or Carolina Christ if interested.
· Community Service:
o Green Mountain Athletic Association is hosting the 2016 Middle School Cross Country Championships at Trapps on Saturday, October 29th. They are looking for volunteer's tasks: Water stops/Aid stations, Course Marshals, Race Day Registration, Finish Line, Traffic/Parking, T shirts and Runner Food Preparation. Hours are 8:00am – noon. Contact Sue Dodge at email@example.com by Saturday, October 22nd.
o Volunteer's needed for Stowe Parks and Rec. Pumpkin Lobotomy – On Saturday, October 29th at SES from 1:00 – 3:00pm. Email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
o Volunteer's needed for Stowe Parks and Rec. Halloween Party on Monday, October 31st at SES from 4:00 – 6:30pm. Email Emily at email@example.com
o Support our local veterans and community members by volunteering at the 3rd Annual Free Veteran's Day Community Breakfast at Stowe Community Church on Friday, November 11th. Signup sheet in the high school office.
· Optional pickup basketball with Alex Minkoff will take place on Mondays, and Thursdays, at 5:00pm.
· Students can now upload photos from their mobile devices to be put into the yearbook through an app called "Replay It". It is available for free online. Yearbook club is looking for sports pictures, homecoming pictures, spirit week pictures and any candid's you wish to be seen in the yearbook.
· Sports Registration for Winter Sports is now open – go to the NEW website www.stoweschoolsvt.com, at the top of the page click on Our Schools, go to Stowe High, click on School links, then to SHS Athletics, then click on Register for Sports online.
· Cotton Brook Fun Run!! Come check it out. Every Tuesday at 5:20pm runners, joggers, and walkers gather to participate in the Cotton Brook Fun Run. Choose a half mile, 1 mile, 2.2 mile or the ever challenging 5k. It is a great way to improve overall strength and endurance. Meet below the gate in Cotton Brook every
All entrées served with milk, fruit and veggie bar
OCT 13 – hamburgers/cheeseburgers, whole wheat bun, French fries, baked beans
OCT 14 – homemade chicken and biscuits, butternut squash
OCT 17 – meatloaf, whole wheat roll, mashed potatoes
OCT 18 – homemade whole wheat pizza, Caesar salad
OCT 19 – chicken tenders, French fries
OCT 24 – Breakfast for Lunch – French toast, home fries
OCT 25 – homemade whole wheat pizza, Caesar salad
OCT 26 – baked ziti, cucumber salad, garlic bread
OCT 27 – beef & bean nachos, cheese sauce, rice, sour cream, black bean salad
OCT 28 – BBQ pork sandwich, whole wheat bun, coleslaw, sweet potato fries
OCT 31 – pasta alfredo w/chicken and vegetables, garlic bread
OCT 13 – Girls' Soccer @ South Burlington; 3:45, bus leave 2:05
Freshman Boys' Soccer @ CVU; 4:00, bus leave 2:05
OCT 14 – Field Hockey vs. Harwood; V 3:45, JV 5:00
Freshman Boys' Soccer vs. Essex; 4:00
OCT 15 – Cross Country @ Harwood Invite; 12:00